Triathlete by day; ICU Nurse by Night---Plantpowered Always!! Official Team Green Ambassador

Official Team Green

Official Team Green
Ambassador for Officialteamgreen.com

Sunday, September 28, 2014

80/10/10? Low-Fat Raw Vegan? Raw Till 4?

Recently I have been testing out a new way of eating.  I have switched from a higher fat vegan diet with multiple cooked foods, to a low fat/high carbohydrate vegan diet with mostly raw meals.  I stay completely raw throughout the day until later in the evening.  In the evening I may stay completely raw, eating a huge salad with maybe a half an avocado, sprouted nuts/seeds, or a nut/seed based dressing.  Other times I may eat a cooked meal like a veggie-burger, hummus, potatoes, soup, or rice and beans.  I still try to stay around the 80/10/10 macronutrient ratio, but will up my protein percentage with training (triathlon).  On a hard workout day I will continue to use my favorite supplements from Vega.  At the time being, I cannot call myself a "Low Fat Raw Vegan", however I think Tracy Russel from incrediblesmoothies.com says it best---

"I know what you’re thinking – “That’s not raw!”, and you’re correct. I’m only eating about 80% raw, but I still follow the low fat vegan diet. I would rather eat a cooked, vegan meal made mostly of vegetables and a wheat bun then indulge in a high fat raw meal that is going to make me feel tired and mess up my digestion"


I still plan on aiming for the same macronutrient count, but will still incorporate some non-raw foods into my diet.  Its all about what makes me, and my body, feel good.  

The Redheaded Triathlete

No comments:

Post a Comment