Triathlete by day; ICU Nurse by Night---Plantpowered Always!! Official Team Green Ambassador

Official Team Green

Official Team Green
Ambassador for Officialteamgreen.com

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

First Ever Skydiving

During my trip to Oahu, Hawaii for the Woodstock Fruit Festival, I did something insane.  The insanity was completed in order to do two things.  One- I wanted the greatest possible view of the island.  Two- I wanted an adrenaline rush.  How could I accomplish both of these at the same time.  Standing on a mountain would give me an amazing view of the island, but this would not give me a huge adrenaline surge.  What to do, what to do??  How....about....SKYDIVE!!!!!

Myself and three friends from camp walked across the street to the Pacific Skydiving Center.  We were greeted by many other fruit lovers from camp wanting to hurl themselves out of a moving airplane voluntarily.  After signing our lives away, we were introduced to our instructors.  Joel was super cool and I immediately felt comfortable with him.  He went through the steps of the jump and began to strap me into the harness (a few straps and buckles that would be my only means of survival during my fall).

After being strapped in, our group walked to the airfield to board the plane.  This plane was small and had two benches on each side.  We each straddled the bench and began our journey up into the clouds.  For the jumpers before us, the weather had not cooperated.  Regulations had prevented them from traveling all the way up and they had to jump from a lower elevation.  Fortunately, our positive vibes had resulted in a weather clearing.  My group was privileged with the highest elevation possible at this airfield.  Once reaching 14,000 feet, the door opened and we began plunging into the cold air (later finding out that it was about 40 degrees).

One by one we jumped out of the perfectly good aircraft aimed at the ocean.  Freefalling for approximately one minute, we each reached 120 miles/hour.  Snapping GoPro pictures the whole way, I smiled and screamed my head off.  The view could not have been any better.  I do not recall having any thoughts during this freefalling.                     I just soared in complete bliss.

When the time came, Joel pulled out our shute.  We slowly floated toward the Island for a few minutes.  During this time, my mind returned, and I was truly able to admire the beauty of Oahu.

During part of the parachuting, Joel allowed me to take control of the parachute.  This was one of the coolest things I have ever done in my life.  Soaring like a eagle, I went side to side and even made us spiral like a tornado aimed towards the ground.

We approached the ground quickly and I was instructed to lift my knees towards my chest.  After gracefully sliding onto the ground like a sliding to home plate, my body began to go through an intense adrenaline rush.  This rush was like no other and lasted for a long period of time.  I absolutely loved this experience and feel completely blessed to have done it.  I recommend skydiving, and especially skydiving in an area as beautiful as Hawaii.


No comments:

Post a Comment