Triathlete by day; ICU Nurse by Night---Plantpowered Always!! Official Team Green Ambassador

Official Team Green

Official Team Green
Ambassador for Officialteamgreen.com

Friday, September 26, 2014

HCLF



If you follow me on my other Social Networks, you would have seen that I am taking a trip this coming Spring.....to.....HAWAII!!!!!  I am beyond excited to be attending the Woodstock Fruit Festival Hawaii 2015 ;-)

I first learned about the Woodstock Fruit Festival through Matt Frazier's blog No Meat Athelete. I had been following this blog for a while and purchased his Half Marathon Roadmap (which was awesome by the way!). In his blog he talked all about different vegan lifestyles, including 80/10/10. 80/10/10?!? What is that???  Dr. Doug Graham, author of 80/10/10, describes this diet as the optimal way of eating for our bodies.  80/10/10 stands for the macronutrient percentage of 80% carbohydrate, 10% protein, and 10% fat.  This is the approximate proportion of macros if you eat mostly raw fruit, greens, and a very small amount of avocado/nuts/seeds.   I, like most people, found it hard to believe someone could eat only raw fruits and vegetables and survive. That is before I listened to Matt's interview with Michael Arnstein. 

Mike "the Fruitarian" Arnstein is an incredibly successful ultra endurance athlete, winning numerous events on a raw food diet. However, Mike does not follow the high-fat raw vegan diet that many have probably heard about. He follows a very high carbohydrate-low fat/protein diet.  Raw fruit during the day, raw vegetables in the evening, and little to no overt fats.  A typical day of food for Mike:

"If I am doing a morning workout, my daily diet goes like this: Upon waking, I immediately drink 2 liters of distilled water. Then I juice two large glasses worth of fresh organic oranges. I start my workout. After my workout, I usually eat one type of fresh, ripe, in-season fruit for the rest of the day, until dinner time. Common ones include oranges, bananas, melons, or apples. For dinner I usually have a large salad of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, maybe some avocado on occasion. If I have a dressing it is usually just some blended orange. A late-night snack might be grapes, mango, or some other more exotic/seasonal fruit. " Mike Arnstein  

This way of eating seems extremely intimidating, but something I want to try.  I already eat a high-raw diet; tons of raw vegetables and a good amount of raw fruits.  However, this is nothing compared to the amount of fruit in this diet.  Could I really do this?  Well, I am going to try and start out small.  I plan to first start out with huge amounts of raw organic fruits throughout the day and some raw organic vegetables in the evening.  I will, however, allow myself a cooked meal in the evening if I really want it (coined the "Raw Till 4" diet).  I believe this will give me the best chance of transitioning to this new way of eating/living. 


Wish me luck everyone

I will be keeping you all posted ;-)

The Redheaded Triathlete

No comments:

Post a Comment